Get Answers from Our Connecticut & Westchester County, NY Solar Power Specialists
Solar industry standards and code continually evolve as innovations in clean, renewable energy are introduced into the market. Our experts at PurePoint Energy have in-depth knowledge and years of professional experience in the industry. We are dedicated to making it easy for people to feel great about helping the environment while saving money.
Besides wondering “how do solar panels work,” we know people have other questions about solar energy. Our Connecticut solar experts have put together a list of the most frequently asked questions we get from clients that we think help explain some solar energy pros and cons.
Please contact PurePoint Energy if there are any other questions you still have, or if you’re ready to start with your free consultation and go solar in Westchester County, NY & Connecticut!
How do solar panels work?
Some people are initially hesitant about solar energy because they don’t understand how solar panels actually work and create electricity. Each panel (comprised of photovoltaic cells) collects the sun's energy and generates direct current (DC) electricity. The direct current electricity passes through an inverter, which converts the direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC) which is the type of power our home and daily appliances run on.
Over the years, we've seen many advances in this technology, which is why more people continue to adopt it for their homes, businesses, and even farms! Solar energy installations are versatile and flexible. You can work with a solar energy expert who will help you find the ideal solution for your setup. We make the process of getting solar panels incredibly easy for anyone interested.
How do solar panels work with my home or business?
This is one of the most frequent questions we get from potential clients. We’re more than happy to give you a basic rundown of a few components below.
- Solar panels: Solar panels consist photovoltaic (PV) cells that transform sunlight into direct current (DC) electricity. The number you can install is dependent on your location and roof surface area.
- Inverter: The DC power is converted to alternating current (AC) power. This is the same type of electricity that is used in your home or office.
- Electrical panel: The output of the inverter flows into the electric panel. This is where all the breakers are and is what allows solar energy to enter the building.
- Utilities: The utility company swaps out your existing meter for a net meter. When generating more electricity than needed, the net meter reports the output to your utility company, which gives you a credit at the retail rate, offsetting your next bill.
- The utility grid: The solar system is still grid tied. At night or times of low levels of sunlight, your electricity will come from the grid.
- System performance: In the unlikely case where your solar system is not performing the way it should, the monitoring platform will send an alert.
Are solar panels really worth the cost?
This really depends on how each individual assesses an investment. People explore solar for economic, environmental and resiliency benefits. While cost is always going to be a major factor for people, the technology has gotten to a point where it’s not only cost-effective to install solar panels, but also the long-term payoff well outweighs the initial installation investment.
For homeowners, solar panels have proven to increase a home’s value. For businesses and homeowners, there are considerable tax breaks and other financial incentives available for solar panel installation. Among the largest solar energy benefactors are farmers, since both state and federal grants will fund energy projects completely, which means long-lasting, dependable energy for future generations.
Why should I work with PurePoint Energy?
Since 2007, our Connecticut solar experts have been working with a wide range of clients throughout Westchester County and Connecticut and we bring that experience to best value engineer your unique solar energy solution. Not only are our clients saving money, but they’re also helping their local communities by reducing their carbon footprint. We work with a number of not for profits, churches and schools and are continually looking to educate the public about the future of solar energy. We're also encouraging young people to explore different careers in engineering made possible by solar energy.
At PurePoint Energy, we make the process of getting solar panels incredibly simple and straightforward. After we provide a solar consultation and on-site evaluation, we’ll help create a solar energy solution tailored to your needs, give you a project installation timeline and help you secure all the available financial incentives for your project.
- Ways Farmers Can Benefit From Solar Energy
- What Are The Best Roof Types for Residential & Commercial Solar Panel Installation?
Call our Connecticut solar installation team today at (203) 642-4105 for a free estimate on your solar savings!